Monday, April 20, 2009
Hoosiers In Elkhart Helping Hoosiers Across the State
We’ve all heard the news about how bad Elkhart’s economy is. Well, here’s some good news. When it comes to lending a helping hand, Hoosier’s there are still willing to lend a helping hand, in the form of donating a book, to help a child in a time of need.
It started when Oliva Jobe, the Store Manager of Elkhart’s Waldenbooks, agreed to hold a book drive during the month of April for R.E.A.C.H. a Child! Indiana. During that time, she and her team collected over 140 books, including:
* Scholastic’s “I Spy Letters & Numbers”
* LIFE’s “Can You Spot the Differences? Original Picture Puzzle”
* “Believe. The Words and Inspiration of Desmond Tutu”
* “Ptolemy’s Gate,” Book Three of Jonathan Stroud’s "Bartimaeus Trilogy"
* Baby Einstein’s “Animal Homes”
* Cranium’s “Data Head Book of Outrageous Fun!” (Illustrations by Baseman)
* Sesame Street’s “Follow Elmo”
* “Incredible 3D Stereograms - Eye Tricks”
* Eric Carle’s “10 Little Rubber Ducks” (Winner of 2003’s Laura Ingall Wilder Award)
* Disney’s “5-Minute Stories of Friendship”
* Ed Emberley’s “Big Purple Drawing Book”
* “The Icky, Sticky and GROSS Fascinating Fact Book”
That’s how it started–Olivia saying “yes." Then, hundreds of other Hoosiers said the same thing. And, that’s truly great. But, it gets even better, because it’s not over. Oliva extended the book drive through the first week of May! So, if you’re looking for a good book to read and you happen to live in or around the area, please visit the Waldenbooks in Elkhart. When you do, be sure to thank Olivia and her team. And, of course, please consider donating a book to R.E.A.C.H. a Child! Indiana.
Thank you, Olivia, and thank you to all of the Elkhart men, women and children who, in donating a new book, helped to make a difference in the lives of over 140 Hoosier children.