Monday, May 18, 2009

R.E.A.C.H. a Child! Indiana & the Rotary Club of Mishawaka


Yesterday, it was a pancake breakfast, compliments of the Warren Township Fire Department. Today, it was lunch, compliments of the Rotary Club of Mishawaka. I could get used to this! BTW, I'm sorry that the picture here isn't the best. Still, I'm happy to say that everyone at the Rotary Club of Mishawaka was.

While the lunch was great, I was there to work. Specifically, I had been invited to present Indiana's With Wings & a Halo - R.E.A.C.H a Child! to the Rotarians. I can say with complete honesty that it didn't feel like work at all. And, I even reconnected with a friend from middle and high school! Great seeing you again, Scott!

Anyway, this blog is about the efforts of R.E.A.C.H. a Child! Indiana's efforts to use books to put a smile on the face of a Hoosier child in a time of crisis. Still, I'd like to use this post to talk about the Rotary Club's "Four-Way Test of the Things We Think, Say and Do."

Decades ago, Rotarian Herbert Taylor was asked to take control of a company that was on the verge of bankruptcy. In 1932, Mr. Taylor created the following questions for employees to ask themselves in all of their personal and professional dealings:

Of the things we think, say or do...

* Is it the truth?
* Is it fair to all concerned?
* Will it build goodwill and better friendships?
* Will it be beneficial to all concerned?

Wouldn't the world be a better place to live and work if we asked ourselves these same questions today? Members of Rotary Clubs around the world do.

Once again, my sincere thanks to Jim, Margaret and all of the members of the Rotary Club of Mishawaka for everything that the club does in practicing "Service Above Self."

No comments:

Post a Comment